Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Heavy Thunder Storm

Well, since we've been here I don't think there have been two days in a row that we haven't got rain. When we first got here we weren't seeing any lighting or hearing thunder. About a week and a half ago we started to get the thunder and lightning. It's awesome!!! But, it doesn't SMELL like I'm used to. (I remember England not smelling either when it rained...)


This morning was sunny and beautiful! The temperature was 75+.  I was anxious to get out and get somethings done, out of the house. I cleaned up the apartment a bit, did a little work on the computer and was getting ready to head out into the bright, shinny, WARM, weather and I kid you not, it was in a blink of the eye and it was dark! It was 1 in the afternoon and it looked closer to 6-7pm! The wind picked up and small drops of rain dropped onto the balcony. Within seconds those small drops of rain where FAT and HEAVY! The thunder rolled in and the lightning was flashing.

I recorded a bit on my little camera, but it could never do it justice. It was beautiful! Scott called not long after the storm had stared and told me he had heard rumor of a tornado watch along with the sever thunderstorm that had come in. He asked me not to leave the house for a couple of hours until things were calmer. Even if there weren't a tornado watch, the last time a heavy storm came in, there were parts of Lafayette that the flood waters were up to the windows of the cars. Now, from what I gather, this is nothing new to the folks who have lived here for quite some time and it's no big deal. So I'm not worried, but I did want to see if there really was a tornado watch. Yup, there is
click here-Lafayettef weather We are on a tornado watch until 4pm. There is also flood watches for some areas as well.

Again, I'm HONESTLY not worried. But, I've been "feeling" VERY strongly about making sure we have our 72 hour kits ready and be as prepared as we can for any circumstances that may arise. When we went to Utah this past week, I made sure that we brought our larger, more comfortable backpack with us, along with many of our backpacking items that we carry with us when we've gone packing out in the great, and amazing mountains of Utah. I brought a few things with us when we moved out here, but now we've got better packs and more "provisions". SOOO instead of getting "out and about" (thanks mom) I'm going to work on putting our packs together and come up with a list of items that we're still going to need. :-)

Well, no fun pictures this time, but just wanted to update ya'all on our fun weather. Now, Utah...talk about about "fun" weather in Northern Utah...there is SOOO much snow! Scott and I actually saw some snow plow crews pushing snow back and trying to clear the snow off the sides of the road or level it out or something, because it was so high, and they were expecting another storm and the snow plows wouldn't be able to clear the snow because there was no were for the snow to go, except back on the road. ALSO there is a shortage of rock salt, there aren't many stores that have it. UDOT is having problems getting it as well. A statement came out saying that they had already had to buy more than the budget had allowed and they still need more. Crazy hu?
Click here-Northern Utah Weather

Anywhooo...enough about weather, I don't know why I find weather to be so fascinating! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,
You be careful with those tornados. That's crazy, you sure are going to have a lot of fun stories to tell.
Love ya, Steph

Scott & Jennifer said...

STEPH-

Hey, I'm so happy to hear from you!!

Love Ya

Jeana said...

Howdy there...I was excited to read your new post. Isn't is amazing how the weather can be so different not only from place to place, but from second to second! I love thunderstorms so that would have been cool to see and hear, but the tornado warning would be a little unsettling. Take care and I'll talk to you later. I haven't forgotten about videoing Mikayla signing or copying the book. It will get done. SLY! bean!

Kenna said...

Yikes, be careful! I lived in Texas for a couple of years when I was younger and I can still remember those bad storms and tornado watches...they were so scary to me!! I still get a little nervous around lightening and thunder! Way to go getting your 72 hour kits together you never know when you'll need them!

Hafen's said...

Ok Jen it has been a long 2 weeks but I am now up and running.. I think? How do I add you to my blog? or are you added? How do I get other people? I know I am a dunce. please fill me in. Ebbi
p.s. I really had a blast seeing you. Hope you come again... Soon.

Hait-through the eyes of my own camera - 2003